New York Travel Tips
There are flights to New York City from almost all destinations of the world. Flying to New York can be exciting but what do you do once you arrive?
What is the best way to get to your hotel or travel around NYC? Should you choose a taxi, limousine, shuttle, public transit bus or subway?
I hope this guide will help you plan a fabulous New York vacation.
Sharing a Limousine with Friends at JFK Airport, New York City
Three major airports service the region:
1. John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK) international airport with 8 terminals and is located in Queens.
2. LaGuardia Airport (LGA) – mainly domestic flights to New York City except for international flights to Aruba, the Bahamas, Bermuda and Canada.
3. Newark Liberty International Airport (EWR) international airport located on the opposite side of the Hudson River, in Newark, New Jersey and involves a longer commute time to Manhattan.
New York Transportation from the Airports
There are many options of getting to your hotels after your flights to New York City and if you were planning to rent a car, first consider all your options.
It may not be worth the headache of traffic and limited and expensive parking facilities.
Using the NYC city buses would be the cheapest method but is complicated, requiring knowledge of the several transfer points depending on the locations of your New York City hotels, and having little room for your baggage.
Other options would be the New York Airport Express Bus with services to Grand Central Station and Penn Station, or the shared vans of SuperShuttle with door-to-door service.
Grand Central Station and the Chrysler Building in New York City
After your flights to New York City, taking a taxi is the most flexible method of arriving to Manhattan and the fare is a flat fee (not including tolls or tips).
You may also want to consider the limo New York and private car services as an alternative to taxis for a larger group of travellers as the cost may be slightly more than taxis but are negotiable (unless you book online) and can be split up between your travelling friend or companions.
Limo New York services are useful for getting to and from the airport boroughs where taxis are harder to find and you can reserve the limo New York service in advance.
Taxi in front of The Plaza Hotel in New York City
For flights to New York City LaGuardia Airport, the shared van door-to-door service of the Go Airlink Shuttle is the easiest and cheapest and can be booked in advance with a 10% discount. The other flexible alternative and more expensive would be the taxi or limo New York/private car service.
If your flights to New York City are arriving at Newark Liberty International Airport, your best options would be the Newark Airport Express Bus which runs every 15 minutes to 42nd Street in Manhattan, or the shared vans of SuperShuttle with door-to-door service.
There is no Toll on the Manhattan Bridge over the East River, New York City
The taxi is an expensive method of New York transportation between Newark, New Jersey and NYC as rate is much higher and in addition you will have to pay tolls and tips. Check the NYC passenger information site for taxi rates.
Getting Around with New York Transportation
There are many ways of getting around NYC, and if you were planning to rent a car after your flights to New York City, dont even think about it.
Its not worth the headache of traffic and limited and expensive parking. You are much better off using the public New York transportation or walking.
The Spectacular Walking Path and Bike Path on the Brooklyn Bridge of NYC
Besides, you will miss out on the wonderful hidden gems discovered by walking around New York City. The best way to get around New York is walking and its a great way to see the city.
Another option is to be adventurous and rent bicycles at neighbourhood shops, Central Park, Highline Park or along the Hudson River Greenway.
New York Travel by Subway MetroCards
For your New York travel, a great way of getting around the city is by using the MetroCard for the subways and buses.
Take the Subway to South Ferry Subway Station at the Southern Tip of Manhattan to catch the Ferries at Battery Park to Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island and Staten Island
The MetroCards can be bought at station ticket booths, vending machines in subway stations, newsstands, at many grocery stores which have a MetroCard sign in the window, and the cards can also be bought online.
One of the Many Unique New York City Subway Entrances This one is at Times Square – 42nd Street and 7th Ave
There are several types of MetroCards for your New York travel including;
1. Single Ride MetroCard
2. Pay-Per-Ride (Regular) MetroCards
- Available in amounts from $4.50 to $80
- $2.25 is automatically deducted from your card for each local bus or subway ride
- Specific amounts are deducted when using either the JFK Airtrain from John F. Kennedy International Airport or the PATH system
- You can add additional money to your MetroCard at any time
- One free transfer outside of the subway system during a two hour window immediately following a paid fare
- You can transfer from subway to subway as often as you like but make sure you do not exit the subway system
- This is a handy method of New York transportation if you are spending a few days in New York
3. Unlimited Ride MetroCards
- Available with 7 day and 30 day options and may be cheaper if using New York City Subway frequently during your stay in NYC
4. The 7-Day Express Bus Plus
- Unlimited use of buses, subways, and express buses if you are staying in Staten Island, Queens, or Westchester County.
Beautiful Ceramic Tiles and Mosaics in many New York City Subway Stations
For your New York travel, I would recommend using the efficient subway system and buses for New York travel. Resist the urge of renting a car after your flights to New York City and consider the shuttle buses, taxis or limo New York private car services to get you to your hotel.
Check here for more handy tips on your New York vacation:
- New York City Hotels and the best neighbourhoods to stay in
- New York City Tours including unique events and NYC attractions
- New York Holidays with great music, performing arts and Broadway shows
- New York Vacation ideas include famous art galleries, museums and historic churches
- New York Vacations are especially relaxing if you discover the spectacular parks created for your bliss and escape
Use these tools to plan well for an exciting New York vacation.
Enjoy a photo on this page? Hover over the pic and Pin It!http://www.dreamvacationideas.com/flights-to-new-york/
If you like this page – please click the Like button above.
Back to Top