Tourist Attractions in France
On your France vacations, you will discover that it is endowed with a great variety of stunningly beautiful scenery, climate, regional culture, mouth-watering food and wine, and there are spectacular tourist attractions in France.
Here are some facts about France that will inspire you and make it an amazing place for your France vacations.
The country has lush agricultural lands, vineyards, rolling prairies, magnificent mountain ranges, rugged seal cliffs, steppe-like plateaux, six National Parks, 43 regional parks, over 2000 miles of beaches and seashores and at least 32 world heritage sites.
Home to beautiful countryside, vineyards, great food and wine, history, antiquity, architecture, cathedrals, museums and monuments, France vacations always manage to provide exciting and unique France holiday adventures for any visitor.
Even its cities and towns are diverse and offer a myriad of attractions and culinary experiences with colourful street markets, old ports and historic sections, narrow lanes, cobblestone streets and pathways, picturesque buildings, art, museums and charming hotels.
Map of France
Paris France is not only the capital and the City of Light, it is one of the world’s great cities, one of the most favourite tourist attractions in France and a famous destination of travelers worldwide.
Although the city is massive, it is easy to get around the compact city center of Paris on your France vacations either on foot or with the highly efficient Paris Metro public transportation system. A great way to see this exciting city is with the Paris Pass which includes a free Travelcard for use of public transportation as well as the Metro.
The Paris Metro itself is one of the many exciting tourist attractions in France. Paris is rich with culture and gastronomy, museums and galleries, shopping and entertainment, with practically an endless amount of things to do on your France vacations.
The city has 20 arrondissements (districts) within great locations near tourist attractions and romantic neighbourhoods.
Paris offers a variety of accommodations to suit every visitor, from bed breakfast establishments to grand luxurious suites. For a good choice of hotels with discount prices, visit Place to stay in Paris for more information.
Want to Experience Home Away from Home?
Adrian Leeds’ luxurious Parler Paris Apartments and Parler Nice Apartments
Parler Paris Apartments and Parler Nice Apartments are comfortable and luxurious properties located in central Paris and Nice offered by the Adrian Leeds Group, LLC.
Adrian Leeds® is a property professional and author of the twice-weekly Parler Paris Nouvellettre®, French Property Insider e-zine and Adrian Leeds’ Top 100 Cheap Insider Paris Restaurants.
You can trust Adrian and her team to provide only the highest quality accommodations to make your stay in the City of Light or on the Côte d’Azur as enjoyable and memorable as possible.
Fun Facts for Your France Vacations:
France has 4 sea fronts – the North Sea, the English Channel, the Atlantic Ocean and the Mediterranean.
- The largest beach in Europe is at La Baule in the Loire-Atlantique department.
- Highest sand dune in Europe is Dune de Pilat (Pyla Dune)– 150 m (492 feet) in the Gironde département of Aquitaine.
- One of the favourite winter facts about France is that the highest mountain in Western Europe is Mont Blanc in the Savoy Alps, 4807 meters (15,771 feet).
- The highest inhabited village in France is Saint-Véran in the Hautes-Alpes region (2200 m – 7218 feet).
- Skiable area is equipped with 4200 ski lifts and 13000 km (8,078 miles) of downhill ski pistes.
- 6000 species of plant life with 200 being specific to France.
- 15 million hectares of forest.
- Another one of the interesting facts for your France vacations, which will not surprise you is that it has around 35,000 boulangeries (bakeries).
- Nature lovers be sure to include visits to a national or regional park in your France vacations.
Because of varied landscape of France, each park provides a different experience. It is no wonder there are so many beautiful tourist attractions in France.
A View of Cote d’Azur in Nice, France
French Beaches and Towns of Cote d Azur
Famous Beaches Towns on the French Riviera for your France Vacations:
- French Beaches and famous towns of Cote d Azur (such as St. Tropez, Cannes, Menton (France-Italy border), Besiers, Marseilles, Antibe, and more)
- Nice France (Provence – Alps)
- Monte Carlo – Monaco (Provence – Alps)
- Eze France (Provence – Alps)
It is convenient being able to go to the beach and also visiting so many tourist attractions in the same day because of the location of these famous towns along the Cote d Azur on the Mediterranean and the great variety of things to do.
Cheverny Castle in the Loire Valley has beautiful gardens
Famous French Castles for your France Vacations:
- Château d’Amboise (Loire Valley)
- Château de Chambord (Loire Valley)
- Château de Chenonceau (Loire Valley)
- Château de Cheverny a Classical French Chateau (Loire Valley)
- Château de Versailles and its Gardens (Ile-de-France)
It is very easy to take a guided Loire Valley Castle Tour and visiting so many tourist attractions in the castle towns on the same day which are included as part of the tours.
Plan a day trip for a Guided Tour of Versailles and its beautiful gardens.
- Aquaboulevard Water Park (Paris)
- Arc de Triomphe (see Things to Do in Paris)
- Bordeaux– Take Bordeaux Wine Tasting Tour
- Champagne Tours and the Cathedral of Reims (gothic architecture)
- Chapel of the Miraculous Medal (Paris)
- Eurodisney (Disneyland Paris – Marne la Vallée) Domaine National de Saint-Cloud (national park) is another spectacular tourist attractions in France
- Ecomusée d’Alsace (near Colmar – France’s largest open-air museum)
- Eiffel Tower is the most famous of all the tourist attractions in France (Tour Eiffel see Paris France Vacation)
- Étretat Cliffs and Seaside Resorts – Normandy
- Fontainebleau Forest and Castle Futuroscope in Poitiers
- Georges-Pompidou Centre (see Tourist Attractions in Paris)
- Giverny and Monet
- Gordes (village in Luberon)
- Great Dune of Pilat (largest sand dune in Europe located in 60 km from Bordeaux)
- Île de Ré (Isle of Rhé – an island off the west coast of France near La Rochelle)
- Island of Oléron
- La Rochelle ( old town harbor Atlantic coast)
- La Villette (science exhibition park – see Paris Vacation Ideas)
- Les Baux-de-Provence (villages)
- Marineland (Antibes)
- Mer de Glace Montenvers (rack-and-pinion railway at Chamonix-Mont-Blanc)
- Be sure to include Mont-Saint-Michel in one of your France Vacations
- Monte Carlo – the Rock of Monaco
- Musée du Louvre or Louvre Museum is one of the greatest tourist attractions in France (see Paris Attractions)
- Musée d’Orsay – a Beaux-Arts building and the former railway station
- Musée Picasso
- Notre-Dame de Chartres Cathedral
- Notre-Dame-de-Fourvière Basilica
- Notre Dame-de-la-Garde Basilica
- Notre-Dame de Lourdes
- Notre Dame de Paris (see Tourist Attractions in Paris)
- Parc Astérix (family amusement park in Plailly)
- Parc Borély (botanical gardens in Marseille)
- Parc National des Pyrénées (national park)
- Père-Lachaise Cemetery(see Paris Holiday Ideas)
- Pont du Gard (aqueduct in southern France)
- Puy du Fou (historical theme park)
- Riquewihr (village in Alsace)
- Sacré-Cœur Basilica (see Time in Paris)
- Saint-Malo Citadel and Mont St Michel
- Saint-Ouen Flea Market
- Strasbourg Cathedral
- Vaux-le-Vicomte Palace
A View of the Louvre Museum from the Seine River
Click here to read about more famous sites to visit on your France Vacations and Fun Facts about France.
Follow Me on Pinterest
Enjoy a photo on this page? Hover over the pic and Pin It!