New York Broadway Shows & New York City Shopping
Your New York City vacation is sure to please your big city dreams of adventure. Being the home to many famous landmarks, tourist attractions, museums, parks, film, television, theatre and fantastic shopping, there is a lot of excitement in this enormous and vibrant city.
New York City Skyline
A good place to start is in the Midtown featuring Times Square New York filled with bright, flashing video screens and LED signs which run 24 hours a day.
Make sure to visit Times Square during the day and at night to see all the activities in this famous square on your New York City vacation.
Midtown is a central location and it’s easy to get to downtown Manhattan or up to the Upper West Side, Central Park and the Upper East Side of New York City.
See Times Square on your New York City Vacation at Night
On your New York City vacation, visit the Rockefeller Plaza, home to NBC Studios and the Radio City Music Hall.
Rockefeller Center in New York City
Take time to enjoy the ambience of the square beneath all the skyscrapers and the cuisine on the outdoor terrace at the Skating Rink Bar during the summer and the famous Christmas tree and Skating Rink during the winter.
This Fountain in the outdoor Skating Rink Bar at the foot of Rockefeller Center Changes Colours and adds a Wonderful Ambience while you are Dining
Nearby is the famous Theatre District. In the north part of Midtown Manhattan is a major business district where you’ll find many of New York’s most famous landmarks such as the Empire State Building, the tallest building in the city, the Chrysler Building.
Spectacular View of Manhattan and the Empire State building as seen from the Top of The Rock – Rockefeller Center Observation Deck in New York City
Also dominating the landscape is Grand Central Terminal, one of the busiest train stations in the world, and the main branch of the New York Public Library, a beautiful building famous for its lion statues protecting the front door and magnificent reading rooms.
On your New York City vacation, head over to the north of the Rockefeller Plaza to Central Park, with its lush lawns, spectacular trees and calm lakes which make popular venues for row-boating and for intimate dining and public concerts.
The Angel of Water Fountain at Bethesda Terrace in Central Park
Up here on the south end of Central Park you will also find the iconic luxury Plaza Hotel New York.
The Plaza Hotel faces the Grand Army Plaza, a commemoration of the Union Army in the Civil War. It was buit in 1907 in a French Renaissance chateau-style.
The Grand Entrance of the Luxurious Plaza Hotel in New York City
The Plaza Hotel is known for its famous Baccarat Chandeliers, gold leaf and marble. The lobby off the Fifth Avenue entrance features five large Baccarat chandeliers.
When you walk up the grand staircase to the lounge and Rose Club bar, you can get a wonderful view of these Baccarat Chandeliers.
These spectacular crystal chandeliers were hand-crafted by the artists and craftsmen at Baccarat in France for the grand Plaza lobby and the lounge.
Take time to see the beautiful works of art while on your New York City vacation.
Relax in the lounge and enjoy a wonderful meal while admiring the beautiful architecture and doing some people-watching. Or have a drink at the luxuriously furnished Rose Club bar upstairs in the Plaza Hotel.
Along the sides of Central Park are the Upper West Side and Upper East Side districts.
The Upper West Side is home to the American Museum of Natural History, the New York Historical Society and the Lincoln Center and many famous residences.
In the Upper East Side is a stretch called the Museum Mile where the famous Metropolitan Museum of Art, the Guggenheim, the Fricke and many other important museums are located.
Discover the Metropolitan Museum of Art on your New York City Vacation
The next place to head on your New York City vacation would be Lower Manhattan, home to some of the most famous landmarks including the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island, the point where millions of immigrants completed their journey to America.
Make Sure to Visit The Statue of Liberty on Your New York City Vacation
On the mainland of Lower Manhattan is Wall Street the heart of big business and home of the New York Stock Exchange. Not far is the Ground Zero at World Trade Center Site, memorial to the victims of the September 11th terrorist attacks. It is currently undergoing plans to construct new buildings on the site.
Battery Park and the Financial District of New York City as seen from a Ferry
Nearby to the east of the World Trade Center Site is the Brooklyn Bridge, connecting Lower Manhattan to Downtown Brooklyn and offering fantastic views of the Manhattan and Brooklyn skylines which you wouldn’t want to miss while on your New York City vacation.
Walk across the East River of New York City on the Brooklyn Bridge
And of course, there is the famous Fifth Avenue, running north/south on Manhattan Island, serving as the demarcation line for east/west roadways, and is well known for its luxurious shopping department stores and boutiques.
Tips for Your New York City Vacation
To help with planning your trip to New York City, here is list of useful references:
- Flights to New York – includes advice after arrival for getting to your hotel or travel around NYC
- New York City Hotels – highlights top picks and best neighbourhoods
- New York City Tours – get acquainted with NYC and select activities will best suit your holiday plans
- New York Holidays and Broadway Shows – tips on selecting Broadway, Off-Broadway and Off-Off-Broadway shows and some ideas for restaurants in NYC
- New York Vacation Guide to Museums and Galleries – list of museums, galleries and famous churches to visit
- New York Vacations Guide to Parks – Central Park is only one of the many beautiful parks in New York City
Top 20 Things to Do In New York
New York City is loaded with historical landmarks and spectacular sites to see. If you have limited time, here are my top 20 sites for your To Do List:
Take a boat ride to the statue and walk around the island. Inside the statue is a wonderful museum with a gallery with details of its construction.
Manhattan – New York City Skyline as seen from Statue of Liberty Island
You can walk up to the first level inside the statue to an observation deck without advance reservations. Be sure to reserve 3 – 6 months in advance to go up to the crown of the Statue of Liberty for your New York City vacation.
Here I have combined several activities because Battery Park is where a lot of action begins. Castle Clinton resides in Battery Park and is a fortress built in 1808-1811. Castle Clinton also has a ticket office for all the boat and island tours to the Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island and Staten Island.
Originally located offshore, the landfill development resulted in Battery Park and eventually included the fortress.
Staten Island Ferry and Waterfront at Battery Park Restaurant Terrace
If you are on a tight budget or simply don’t have time to visit the Statue of Liberty on your New York City vacation, get a free ride on the Staten Island Ferry and you will have a delightful view of the Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island and Staten Island.
You can also disembark at Staten Island and explore.
Clinton Castle and Battery Park in New York City
When returning to Manhattan, you will have a spectacular view of the Manhattan Skyline.
Battery Park has many places to sit down and relax and watch the harbour front activity. Head over to the terrace and enjoy a glass of wine while watching the ferries and admiring the beautifully landscaped park.
Times Square is a must see if you are a visitor to NYC. The 24 hour a day LCDs are spectacular and as you walk around the Theatre District and the surrounding streets on your New York City vacation, you will be amazed with the views of Times Square New York of the different angles from which you approach this intersection.
Time Square New York City
Wow! What a beautiful park, and a great getaway from the concrete jungle.
Entrance near Central Park Zoo, New York City
You can either walk to Central Park from your hotel if it is nearby, or you can include a Hop-On-Hop-Off Bus Tour in your New York City vacation and get off on Central Park West at the Museum Mile, visit a bunch of museums, and then walk over to the park.
The Childrens Zoo in Central Park, New York City
As you are walking around the park you will see so many joggers, bicyclists, and outdoor events. Excitement is in the air! At the Central Park Zoo, there are many family events great for children.
The Loeb Boathouse Restaurant and Bar in Central Park, New York City
When you are in Central Park and need a break, visit the Loeb Boathouse Boathouse Restaurant.
Here you can rest and relax, eat, drink watch the rowboats. Or you can be adventurous and rent a bicycle or rowboat and have some more fun.
This area is conveniently located to many things to do in New York, as it is central and easy walking distance to many Broadway shows and to the famous Time Square.
The New Victory Theater in New York City
It is walking distance to fabulous restaurants and to the Rockefeller Center which offers the Top of the Rock rooftop Observation Gallery as well as the sumptuous restaurants at the foot of the tower in the summer and ice skating in the winter.
The Brooklyn Bridge is one of the most magnificent landmarks to experience during your New York City vacation.
It has six lanes for motor vehicles, with a separate walkway along the centerline for pedestrians and bicycles, and best of all, it has exhilarating views of Manhattan skyscrapers, the South Street Seaport Historic District and Brooklyn.
Walking across the Brooklyn Bridge and taking in the Views of New York City is an Exhilarating Experience
If you forgot to bring your bottle of water on a hot day, that’s okay as you will be able to purchase water and fresh fruit on your journey across the bridge.
7. Empire State Building
Visit one of the most famous skyscrapers in the world.
Stunning Views of the Empire State Building from Brooklyn Bridge
From the top of the Empire State Building observatory on the 86th floor you can have a magnificent view of New York City.
If you want to experience a great view of the Empire State Building and panorama of New York City, take the Top of the Rock tour to the top of the Rockefeller Center on your New York City vacation.
Fantastic Views of Central Park from the Top of the Rock in New York City
You will also have phenomenal views of Central Park and the entire city. On a clear day, watch the stunning sunset glistening on the glass of all the skyscrapers.
Before your visit to the Rockefeller Center, reserve in advance an opportunity to be part of the audience and watch the filming of a show at NBC Studios. Also take a walk over to the Radio City Music Hall.
Radio City Music Hall in New York City
9. Chrysler Building
The Chrysler Building is another famous skyscraper in New York City.
This Art Deco tower glitters inside and out with marble floors and many Art Deco patterns. It is truly a beautiful building.
10. Museum of Natural History
This museum is a great place to visit for both children and adults especially if you love animals. From dinosaurs, fossils, birds, planets, stars and galaxies, you can explore the wonders of our universe.
11. Museum Mile
Visit the stretch on 5th Avenue on your New York City vacation and discover the famous Metropolitan Museum of Art (The Met), the Guggenheim, the Fricke and many other important museums
The Plaza Hotel New York is a beautiful, world famous hotel which characterizes an oversized French castle, built in French Renaissance style on the edge of Central Park.
Front Entrance of The Plaza Hotel in New York City
Many celebrities have stayed here for their New York City vacation at its location at the Fifth Avenue Plaza, now known as Grand Army Plaza.
Beautiful Baccarat Crystal Chandeliers in the Plaza Hotel Lounge
If you want to see world famous Baccarat chandeliers designed and created in France, spend some time here to admire the stunning hand crafted crystal art hanging in the lobby and in the glorious bar of the Plaza Hotel New York.
13. World Trade Center – Ground Zero
The tragic events of the World Trade Center in 2011 will never be forgotten. To see where it happened and ponder is a moving experience. Do include a visit to the unforgettable Ground Zero on your New York City vacation.
14. Little Italy
West of SoHo and north of Canal Street is the quaint village of Little Italy. The pedestrian friendly neighbourhood is lined with charming cafes and famous Italian restaurants, great for strolling around, relaxing and people watching.
There are so many things to do in New York Seaport District Pier 17 which are located in a historic district of the Lower Manhattan waterfront.
Pier 17 and South Street Seaport in New York City from the Brooklyn Bridge
This dynamic neighbourhood has attractions for everyone, offering great shopping and restaurants, a farmers market, bicycle rentals and boating, concerts, a summer beach and winter events.
This stunning triangular building is a wonderful work of architectural art and a great spot for capturing some unique photographs. Located at the intersection of 5th Avenue and Broadway, the neighbourhood is great for shopping and restaurants, and for a romantic stroll in the nearby Madison Square Park.
In Washinton Square Park, Greenwich Village, is a lovely square well known for its famous George Washington arch, avant-garde artists, chess enthusiasts, parades, civic events, walking paths, park benches and beautiful trees. This is a perfect getaway in the middle of a busy city if you need some quiet time on your New York City vacation.
18. Grand Central Terminal
Not only is this one of the busiest terminals in the US and one of the greatest railway stations in the world, but the grand Beaux-Arts building is simply breathtaking and offers a variety of shops and restaurants.
19. Ellis Island
If you are planning to visit the Statue of Liberty, include a stop at Ellis Island and visit the historic immigration museum on your New York City vacation.
Ellis Island Immigration Museum – a Ferry ride from New York City
The museum offers a film presentation of vintage interviews where immigrants shared their stories about the challenges of finding a new life.
View of the Immigration Museum on Ellis Island
I was very moved by the stories of the survivors. To avoid the long line up for the ferry to Ellis Island, book at Battery Park Castle Clinton in person the day before, or online.
20. Wall Street
Wall Street in Lower Manhattan, home to the New York Stock Exchange, is one of the most famous streets in the world with numerous financial establishments located here. It’s worth checking out the excitement of the hectic environment of the stock exchange on your New York City vacation.
Visit Historic Sites on Your New York City Vacation
More Famous Landmarks and Things to Do In New York
There are so many amazing places to see. Here is a list of other great sites to visit:
- Alice in Wonderland Statue
- American Radiator Building now the Bryant Park Hotel
- Brooklyn Museum
- Belvedere Castle
- Carnegie Hill
- City Hall
- Columbus Circle the Time Warner Center
- Coney Island
- Daily News Building
- Federal Hall
- General Grant National Memorial – Grant’s Tomb
- Governor’s Island
- Grand Army Plaza near Plaza Hotel
- Greenwich Village
- Intrepid Sea, Air and Space Museum
- Macy’s Department Store
- Madison Square Garden
- Manhattan Municipal Building
- Meatpacking District
- Museum of the City of New York
- New York International Auto Show
- New York Mercantile Exchange
- New York Public Library
- New York Stock Exchange
- Nolita (North of Little Italy)
- Park Slope Historic District
- Plaza Hotel
- Ripley’s Believe It or Not in Times Square
- Roosevelt Island Aerial Tram
- Skyscraper Museum
- SoHo (South of Houston)
- St. Patrick’s Cathedral
- Strawberry Fields, John Lennon Memorial
- The Cloisters
- The Dakota
- The Trump Building
- Trinity Church
- Washington Square Park in Greenwich Village
- Woolworth Building
- World Financial Center
Fun New York City Activities
Top Picks for Shopping In New York
Being one of the fashion capitals of the world and a major shopping destination for business visitors and tourists there is an abundance of things to do in New York.
NYC offers a large variety of boutiques, designer and department stores, and specialty shops for every product imaginable from clothing, music, art, cameras to art supplies, sporting goods and foods.
Shopping at Bebe in Soho, Downtown New York City
NYC has a number of retail outlet locations with substantial discounts, ends-of-line and factory seconds. Some of the most popular places to go bargain hunting are Century 21 and Filene’s in Manhattan, two of the largest stores to get designer clothing for less.
The choice for shopping is overwhelming so I will try to keep it simpler and list only the main shopping In New York.
New York City Vacation Shopping Downtown
Top Picks in The Financial District Lower Manhattan
- Designers Promise – Great find in women’s clothing 93 Nassau St., New York, NY 10079 (212) 513-1532
- Tiffany Co. – A dramatic and fantastic jewellery store 37 Wall St., New York, NY 10005 (212) 514-8015
- Thomas Pink – Men’s women’s clothing 63 Wall St., New York, NY 10005 (212) 514-7683
- Century 21 – Famous discount department store with designer clothing at bargain (and not so bargain) prices across the street from the World Trade Center Ground Zero 22 Cortlandt S., New York, NY 10007 (212) 227-9092
- The Toymaker – High quality toys Stuyvesant Plaza, Albany, NY 12232 (518) 458-8830
- True Religion Brand Jeans – Great fitting, American-made high quality jeans sportswear 14 Wall St., New York, NY 10005 (212) 791-5930
- Hermes Wall Street – Accessories handbags 15 Broad St., New York, NY 10005 (212) 785-3030
- The Silk Shop – Ladies’ Men’s boutique with a variety of fine clothing and accessories 132 Nassau St., New York, NY 10038 (212) 571-3130
- One New York Plaza – A great shopping mall next to Battery Park 1 New York Plaza, Corner of Water and Whitehall Streets Battery Park, New York City
The Plaza Shops at One New York Plaza on the Waterfront near Battery Park
- South Street Seaport – A fantastic Lower Manhattan venue for shopping, restaurants, cafes all types of retail stores on the East River. 89 South Street, New York, New York 10038 (212) SEA-PORT Subway: 2, 3, 4, 5, A, C, J, M, Z to Fulton St.
- South Street Seaport – Pier 17 – Part of South Street Seaport, this is one of the largest indoor shopping malls in Manhattan with a large boardwalk on the East River and boat cruises. 19 Fulton Street, New York, NY 10038 212-732-7678
New York City Vacation Shopping in Chinatown
Especially along Canal Street, you can find a plethora of knockoff handbags, sunglasses, fragrances, and watches. While it is fun to shop do not expect quality, and beware of the bootleg CDs, videos, and software as they can be stolen goods.
Much of the fragrances are stored in sun scorching stands or window displays, so do be careful not to purchase bottles which have been exposed to a lot of sun.
New York City Vacation Shopping in SoHo
- Blue in Green – Fabulous Men’s clothing store 8 Greene St., New York, NY 10013 (212) 680-0555
- Seven New York – Avant-garde men’s women’s clothing 110 Mercer St., New York, NY 10012 (646) 654-0156
- Burberry – From London, high end men’s women’s clothing 131 Spring St., New York, NY 10012 (212) 925-9300
- Marc Jacobs – High end men’s women’s clothing 163 Mercer St., New York, NY 10012 (212) 343-1490
- The Evolution Store – Very unique gifts 120 Spring St., New York, NY 10012 (212) 343-1114
- Jeremy Argyle – Amazing men’s clothing 160 Spring Street, New York, NY 10012 (646) 781-9050
- Kiki de Montparnasse – Classy sexy lingerie 79 Greene St., New York, NY 10012 (212) 965-8070
- Alexis Bittar Studio – Jewellery Beautiful collection of precious stones 465 Broome St., New York, NY 10013 (212) 625-8340
- Bloomingdale’s on Broadway SoHo Location – Fabulous department store 504 Broadway, New York, NY 10012 (212) 729-5900
- Museum of Modern Art Design Store (MoMA) Soho Location – A large collection of artists’ designs, books, toys, furniture and unique gift ideas 81 Spring St., New York, NY 10012 (646) 613-1367
Bloomingdales in Soho New York City
New York City Vacation Shopping in Nolita
This neighbourhood is one of the hottest shopping strips with Elizabeth, Mott and Mulberry streets becoming dotted with increasing numbers of shops between Houston Street and the Bowery.
Nolita is located near SoHo and also specializes in boutiques with high-quality fashion-forward products. It features niche designs from around the world.
New York City Vacation Shopping in Greenwich Village
Between Carmine Street and Seventh Avenue and on Bleecker Street west of Sixth Avenue are many wonderful boutique food shops and gourmet food markets to satisfy your palate, and antique stores, craft shops, trendy footwear and affordable fashions to satisfy your shopping cravings.
The West Village is great for browsing and gift shopping.
- Sabon – High quality cosmetic bath beauty products 434 6th Ave., New York, NY 10011 (212) 473-4346
- Amy’s Bread -The best selection of organic traditional European breads, heavenly scones, sweets pastries 250 Bleecker Street at Leroy Street, New York, NY 10014 (212) 675-7802
- Intermix – Women’s clothing boutique 365 Bleecker Street (between 10th St. Charles St.) New York, NY 10014
- 8th Street Wine Cellar – Wine Bar Lounge 28 W 8th St., New York, NY 10011 (212) 260-9463
- Mille-feuille – Specialty bakery and desserts 552 Laguardia Place, Manhattan, NY 10012 (212) 533-4698
New York City Vacation Shopping in Chelsea/Meatpacking District
Chelsea has evolved into the Chelsea Art District with more than 200 art galleries.
The Meatpacking District has also transformed into hot and trendy district with big-name designers as Stella McCartney, Christian Louboutin, Alexander McQueen and Jeffrey New York.
New York City Vacation Shopping in Union Square Flatiron District
One of the hottest places for shopping in New York, eating and hanging-out neighbourhoods in the city is in the Union Square Flatiron District.
- Union Square Greenmarket – The largest farmers’ market in NYC 1 Union Square W., New York, NY 10003 (212) 788-7476
- Baci Gelato – Yummy, creamy gelato 47 W 20th St., New York, NY 10011 (212) 359-5533
- Filene’s Basement – Similar to Century 21 and another option for designer labels bargain hunting 4 Union Sq S., New York, NY 10003 (212) 358-0169
- DSW (Designer Shoe Warehouse) – Lots and lots of shoes 40 E 14th St, 3rd Floor (between 5th Ave W Union Sq) New York, NY 10003
- Barnes Noble – A beautiful 1880 cast-iron building and a beautiful book store 33 East 17th St., New York, NY 10003 (212) 253-0810
New York City Vacation Shopping in the Upper West Side
The Upper West Side’s best shopping street is Columbus Avenue with charming small shops.
Also visit Amsterdam Avenue for boutiques but Broadway is where you will find terrific gourmet food at the Zabar’s (2245 Broadway at 80th Street) and Fairway market (2127 Broadway at 74th St).
Time Warner Center and Condos in New York City
Columbus Circle Time Warner Center
Great shopping mall with a view of Central Park and upscale choices for shopping in New York as well as discount bargains. 10 Columbus Circle, New York, NY 10019 (212) 823-6100.
The Globe at Columbus Circle, 59th Street and Columbus Avenue, New York City
New York City Vacation Shopping in Midtown Manhattan
The Garment District Herald Square
Herald Square is where 34th Street, Sixth Avenue, and Broadway converge and is dominated by Macy’s, which may be the biggest department store in the world.
A gigantic department store with high-end fashion for your shopping fantasies 151 W 34th St. (between Broadway Penn Plz), New York, NY 10001 (212) 695-4400.
Murray Hill in Midtown East and Its Grand Central Terminal
The Grand Central Terminal is an iconic structure with fabulous architecture, great shops and the Grand Central Market to explore. 42nd St Park Ave., New York, NY 10017 (212) 340-2583.
Fifth Avenue 57th Street
In the heart of Manhattan Fifth Avenue to 57th Street and across are a number of flagship designer stores. When visiting New York City, one must experience these fantastic shopping venues.
- Tiffany Co. – Famous and fabulous jewellery store Fifth Avenue and 57th Street (Fifth Avenue and 57th Street) New York, Ny 10022 Upper East Side
- Louis Vuitton Flagship store One East 57th Street, New York NY 10022 (212) 940 2212
- Gianni Versace Boutique Flagship store 647 5th Ave., New York, NY 10022 (212) 317-0224
- Bergdorf Goodman – Beautiful department store 754 5th Ave. (between 57th St West 58th St) New York, NY 10019 (800) 558-1855
- Saks Fifth Avenue – A department store for great adventures 611 5th Ave. (between 51st St 52nd St) New York, NY 10022 (212) 753-4000
New York City Vacation Shopping in Uptown Manhattan
In addition to 5th Avenue shopping, Madison Avenue from 57th to 79th streets boasts the most expensive retail real estate in the world.
This ultra deluxe strip is home to the most luxurious designer boutiques with 15 blocks of haute couture.
- Michael’s – The Consignment Shop for Women featuring Women’s clothing, a vintage consignment store in an haute couture district 1041 Madison Avenue, New York, NY 10075 (212) 737-7273
- Chanel – Women’s Clothing and jewellery 733 – 735 Madison Ave., New York, NY 10065 (212) 535-5828
- Christian Dior 870 Madison Ave., New York, NY 10021 (212) 249-5822
- Barneys New York – Famous department store 660 Madison Ave., New York, NY 10065 (212) 826-8900
- Cartier – Jewellery and watches 828 Madison Ave., New York, NY 10021 (212) 472-6400
- Lalique Boutique – Unique fragrances and frosted glass figurines 712 Madison Ave., New York, NY 10021 (212) 355-8536
- Ralph Lauren – Classy men’s clothing in stunning architecture 867 Madison Ave., New York, NY 10021 (212) 606-2100
- Bloomingdale’s – Iconic designer department store 1000 3rd Ave. (between 59th St 60th St) New York, NY 10022 (212) 705-2000
Sunset view of the Top of Worldwide Plaza in New York City
I hope that my Top Picks of places to visit and overview of shopping will help with your planning to be able to see and do a variety of activites on your stay in NYC.
There are so many things to do on your New York City vacation and adventures to experience for the whole family. For the fashionister and fashionista, be sure to include a shopping spree in your New York City vacation and check out the many locations listed above.
Back to Top